It is essential to monitor your vehicle for a seamless and safe driving experience. When there is a concerning notification or message your BMW wants to alert you, the dashboard is illuminated with warning lights or dashboard symbols. Please find the most found BMW dashboard indicator lights below. Also, keep in mind that the dashboard indicator lights may differ in appearance between models.
According to the severity of the issue, the indicator lights/symbols are illuminated in different colors.
Red: This color indicates an issue that your vehicle requires immediate attention at a BMW service center. Take care while driving with this indicator switched on.
Orange: This color generally indicates a less urgent issue. It is still recommended to address the trouble with the help of a BMW professional.
Other symbol colors such as green and blue notify the driver with information such as lights and indicators.
Flashing warning lights indicates a severe malfunction. It is not advised to drive under this condition unless the issue is resolved.
BMW dashboard warning lights and symbols are developed to alert the driver before any severe damage has been done. It is essential to educate yourself with this guide. Contact your advisor at Cardenas BMW Service Department in Harlingen, TX, with any questions or concerns.
1. The front fog lamps are switched on.
2. The rear fog lamps are switched on.
3. This indicates that the turn signals are on.
4. The high-beam lights are on.
5. This indicates that the headlamps and taillights are on.
6. This warning light indicates that any of the parking, brake, rear fog, signal, cabin lighting, or license plate lamps are faulty.
7. This light indicates that the brake light bulb is faulty.
8. This warning light indicates a malfunction of the headlight control system.
9. This light illuminates when the adaptive light system has an issue.
10. This indicates that the headlamps and taillights are on.
11. Battery charge warning light – the issue can be a dead battery, less charge in the battery, or a faulty alternator malfunction. If the battery lamp is on while you are driving the car, please get in touch with our service advisor or head over to the nearest Cardenas BMW Service center to resolve the issue at the earliest.
12. The exterior lamp is malfunctioning.
13. O/D OFF warning light: This indicates that the vehicle's overdrive system is turned off manually. A switch typically controls the overdrive system.
14. This warning indicator shows that the body control module or engine control unit has a fault. Inspect the interior and exterior lights.
15. Press the brake pedal to start the engine.
16. This light indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is filled with excess air. (Only in diesel engine BMW)
17. This warning lamp indicates that the catalyst converter system is faulty.
18. This light means the water level in the fuel filter has increased and requires immediate attention.
19. Replace your engine air filter when this warning light is illuminated.
20. Engine Temperature Overheat Warning Light: This indicates that the engine and cooling system are overheated. It is recommended to stop the vehicle and wait for the engine to cool when flashing.
21. This light indicates that the fuel filter needs to be replaced.
22. Fuel level is critically low. It is advised to refuel at the nearest fuel station.
23. Improper oil pressure indicates that the engine oil pressure has dropped. It is recommended to safely stop the car, check the oil level, and add oil until it reaches the proper level before starting the car again. Consult the service center regarding this issue before using the vehicle as usual.
24. Check Engine Light: This light switches for a few seconds on when the ignition is turned on and the vehicle is started. Suppose the light turns on while driving. Consult the nearest service center. If the light is flashing, take caution while driving and immediately rectify the issue from a service center.
25. This warning turns on when the onboard computer has limited engine power output due to safety reasons. Bring the vehicle to a service center to get the issue resolved.
26. The Engine Oil Warning light illuminates when the engine oil life has passed the recommended service life – It is advised to bring the vehicle for an oil change.
27. The gas gauge light indicates when the gas gauge is not properly tightened. If this light is ignored, the Check Engine Light could illuminate.
28. Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Warning Light: The DPF test has failed. Head to the nearest service center immediately. (Only for diesel engine vehicles)
29. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Light (for diesel vehicles): The diesel exhaust fluid level is low and needs refilling.
30. Brake pads are worn out and need replacement, or the brake lining sensor is not changed. Avoid driving till the issue is resolved. (Only for vehicles with brake lining sensor)
31. Press the brake pedal to function the automatic shift lever.
32. Air suspension warning/malfunction light.
33. Suspension system errors. Head over to the service center to get it urgently.
34. Automatic transmission fault: This light illuminates when there is a problem with the automatic transmission. This warning light can be lit up in yellow or red colors on the dashboard. If the emergency warning lamp is illuminated, cautiously drive the vehicle in the P, R, N, D sequence (forward gears only 3rd and 5th gears). It is recommended to drive your car at a lower speed and schedule service immediately.
35. This warning light indicates an improper temperature in the transmission mechanism. Check the gearbox oil and engine coolant levels and if either of the fluid levels is low, wait for 5 minutes to cool at idle while the vehicle is in gearshift N.
36. This light indicates weather outside.
37. The Light and rain sensor calculates the light's reflection during rainy weather conditions and informs the control unit.
38. The defrost function of the windshield is switched on.
39. The rear windows defrost function is active.
40. The rain sensor is active.
41. This light indicates that the automatic glass wiper is active.
42. (For diesel vehicles) This light indicates that the glow plugs inside the engine have heated above permissible levels and that the engine should not be running until this light is turned off. If the heating system malfunctions, white smoke may emerge from the exhaust if the engine operates at the proper temperature. The heating bulbs must be replaced at the nearest service center.
43. This light comes when the winter mode is turned on. This function is used on snowy and slippery roads.
44. Vehicle maneuvering alert, track distance while changing lanes.
45. Speed limit exceeded warning light (for vehicles with preset speed limit).
46. Cruise control system is on standby.
47. This light appears if you change the lane without switching on the turn signal.
48. Warning light indicates that one or more doors are open.
49. This warning light turns on when a door, hood, or trunk is not closed. Open and close all doors, including the hood and trunk. If the car is left overnight with the lights on, it may drain the charge in the battery.
50. Seat belt warning sign.
51. Tire pressure warning light. Check tire air pressure immediately.
52. Warning lamp means the key is found in the car.
53. When the transmission is set to Park. (in automatic transmission vehicles).
54. Park Assist System is active.
55. Steering lock warning light will appear if there is a malfunction with the steering wheel. If it is yellow, consult a service center, but if it is red, switch off the vehicle.
56. Airbag or seat belt system is facing an issue. Consult service center.
57. ECO driving mode appears when the vehicle driving conditions attain maximum fuel economy.
58. Park brake warning on the instrument display panel usually illuminates when you engage the parking brake. If the brake fluid is notably visible, it means there may be a problem with the braking system. In this case, check the brake fluid level. However, you can drive it as far as the service center in this condition. If the fluid level is low, there is a leak in the system, or the brake pads are worn out.
59. The airbag systems are turned off.
60. The ABS warning generally turns off when the ignition is turned on and goes when the vehicle is started. It can be manually turned on or off in some models. If the light doesn't turn off automatically, then it is defective. Drive at low speeds and avoid braking hard.
61. Cruise control systems are active. This light indicates that the cruise control function is active during driving. The vehicle will be maintaining the preset speed.
62. This light appears when the engine hood is open.
63. This light appears when the trunk is open.
64. This warning light turns on when there is a fault in the car's ignition system.
65. This light indicates that the windshield washer fluid is low.
66. If this symbol is flashing, the ignition key is locked due to an inappropriate transponder. If this light comes on when the vehicle is on, the system is at fault.
67. Traction Control or Electronic Stability Program (ESP): If this light illuminates, traction control or electronic stability system is actively functioning. The light usually appears when the conditions are slippery.
68. Traction Control or ESP malfunction: This warning light indicates a problem with the vehicle traction control or electronic stability system.
Keep in mind that if the orange or green BMW dashboard symbols appear, schedule a service appointment at your earliest convenience. If any warning lights are red and blinking, consider stopping the car, switching it off, and consult your nearest BMW Service Department for a recommended resolution.
You can refer to your vehicle user manual to check the meaning of every warning light illuminated in the dashboard or call our Service Department at (956) 609-6437. We care about your safety.